Do you have a basement in your home? If yes, then sump pumps must have surely come in handy for your needs. Whether one is a housewife or a corporate professional, it is essential to have sufficient knowledge about these wet basement lifesavers. According to Santa Rosa plumbing contractors, it is one of the most critical devices installed in modern homes. So, if you wish to protect your home from water damage, a sump pump is a must!
Everything You Should Know About the Sump Pump
So what are sump pumps? How do they work? What are they used for? Which factors make the right sump pump? Keep reading on to get all the answers.
- Footing Drain – If you wish to know about sump pumps, you first need to understand what a footing drain It is a complex system of draining pipes situated beneath the basement of a house. Initially, they were connected with the sanitary sewers, but later on, they separated into a different system.
- Sump Pump – Simply stated, a sump pump is a device that drives the water out of the basement to avoid it from flooding. In other words, a sump pump will collect extra water that gathers in the sump basin, and will pump it outdoors. It can either be pedestal or submersible.
- Submersible Sump Pump – As the name suggests, this type of pump sits inside the sump pump pit. This type of pump is generally dearer than the pedestal pumps as they are placed inside the hole. The capacity of this pump is also higher, and it pumps out a larger volume of water.
- Pedestal Sump Pump – These pumps are a bit different than the submersible sump pumps. They are comparatively cheaper, and their capacity is also lower. But the good thing is, they are easy to repair as the pump is outside the pit.
- Working Mechanism – Now that we know what a sump pump is, let’s understand its working mechanism. Every sump pump pit has a bobber attached to it. Once the bobber crosses the marked level, it switches on the pump automatically, and starts throwing water outside the home. The water is either sent to the drainage or the sewer system.
- Important Factors – When you go out to purchase a sump pump, make sure to consider these factors:
- Investing in a sump pump that is made up of cast-iron instead of plastic is a good idea. They not only last longer, but are also easier to maintain.
- You should always buy sump pumps with a unique no-screen intake feature. This is useful in reducing clogs.
- Not only this, invest in a sump pump that has a reliable mechanical switch. Make sure the switch is sturdy enough to prevent waterlogging and other defects.
Sump pumps are an inevitable part of all smart housing systems. Having complete information about the device can help you get rid of flooded basements at the soonest. For more information regarding this, connect with our Holman Plumbing team at 707-495-5002.